Thursday 13 June 2013

It ain't over 'til it's over.


June 12 - It ain't over till it's over.

But the hike to Maine is finished for me this year. And I feel good about that. After 8 1/2 weeks of living out of a backpack and sharing it with all manner of insect life, I'm ready to go home. 

And I miss my wife!  :)

I'm not done with the A.T., though, and I think it's OK that I didn't eat the elephant all in one go. I'll be back. 

And it will be in better physical, functional condition. I had noticed over the last few days after leaving Pearisburg that I couldn't tilt my head back to finish drinking the Gronk coffee from my pot without feeling a tearing sensation down my neck towards my left shoulder. I think it is wise for me to get off the trail before more damage may be done. Julia's setting me up with a chiropractor for an overhaul. 

I've retrieved my bounce boxes and booked my flight to Ottawa for Thursday. 

I really want to thank you all for the encouragement you offered. It was fun and humbling to read your comments. Thank you so much for taking the time. I really appreciate it. :)

June 13 - Update

Due to severe storms expected in the US north-east, my connection through Washington was cancelled until tomorrow. So instead of rolling the dice there, I've rebooked the whole trip for tomorrow. 

And instead of another $30 taxi ride to my cheapie hiker motel and them back in the morning, I caught a free shuttle to the Comfort Inn Airport in Roanoke VA. They even gave me the "distressed traveler" discount!

Wild life at the Comfort Inn.

Interestingly, when I put my pack onto the scale at the airline check-in counter, it weighed only 23 pounds. With full food and water there would be another 10 pounds for 33 total.  That is very light compared to most packs being carried out there. This it goes to show, to me at least, that there is something wrong physically with me if I can't even carry that weight comfortably.

7 comments:

  1. Peter, so glad to hear that you are coming home. You have done a amazing adventure and I look forward to seeing you and Julia together again. Have a safe trip home. Be proud of all that you have accomplished.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You did great Peter, and are wise for putting your health first. I look forward to seeing you soon. Have a safe trip and welcome back to Canada.

    Luc

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Peter: You did great on your trek. I am very impressed with your accomplishment. You should be very proud of what you have achieved. Looking after youself is number one. You can always come back and finish the trail when you want; it will be there waiting for you. Come on west for a bit and I'll get you and Julia soaking at the Miette Hot Springs in Jasper. All the best my friend. Gary

    ReplyDelete
  4. Congratulations Gronk! I have so much respect for what you've accomplished in the last two months. Thanks so much for blogging it and letting us all experience the AT vicariously through you. Let's do breakfast soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gronk, I just missed you by a day. I too left the trail from Roanoke and stayed at the Comfort Inn before getting a rental car to drive home to Texas. Hope you are resting and recuperating and enjoying the comforts of home as I am. Shabby - Gary.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Shabby! Oh man, you're off the trail?! I am sorry to hear that. I hope it's nothing serious. I was wondering where you might be. Are you going back out later this summer? Not an option for me for several reasons. Cheers, mate.

    ReplyDelete
  7. No, I am not going back this year. I am having some knee problems and physically I am just not ready to go back. I will try to finish this damn trail as a section hiker though and I don't know when, probably after retirement. Besides I have this new found appreciation for home and the comforts of sleeping in my own bed and better yet, a refrigerator full of food. Shabby

    ReplyDelete